Total Pageviews

Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Prescription drugs, side effects, doctors, and the older generation

I chose to write about this subject, because I have a parent, who is being taken advantage of, due to doctors, and the pharmaceutical companies.
I think that it is very wrong for doctors to take advantage of the older generation. It starts out slowly, but then before you know it, you have another doctor's appointment, maybe this time for a cholesterol level check up, then if it is up a little bit, the doctor prescribes a pill to help lower it again. Sure you can take the pill and then continue eating those foods, which made it higher in the first place, or you can say no to the pill and unnecessary doctor visits, and start eating smarter and healthier, while also adding more exercises to your daily routine, and don't even tell me anything about you being to old to exercise, and what good would it do for you to start now?, attitude, because I'm just not buying it.
Without intention of embarrassing my mom, I can tell you that she weighs more than I do, and that her eating habits aren't as healthy as mine are. I will say about myself, that I have had my share of ailments, which required a doctors care, and yes, prescription drugs, while I was raising my children, which included receiving a lower back injury, due to slipping on a wet floor at the place, where I worked, when I was in my mid to late 20's. I still have a problem with back pain, when I forget about it for a split second, and lift something, which causes very intense pain to return, but I refuse to get into the doctor, prescription drug trap, now or in the future, when I am as old as my mom is now.
The side effects alone should be a good reason, why people should be refusing to take prescription drugs, even though they were prescribed to them by their doctor, for their ailment. I know that taking pills for my back pain have worse side effects (because I have experienced some of them), than if I would've just taken an over the counter Ibuprofen pill, and kept myself moving around, instead of laying around in pain.
I am currently going through another painful event within the past five days. I recently lifted a chair (trying to be helpful, and forgetting again), and yes, I had been in tremendous pain for the first 3 or 4 days, but even with all that said, I haven't missed a day of work (I work 7 days a week), and I even walk to work. No prescription pain medication, just exercise and Ibuprofen. The point I am trying to make here, is that you need to be tough, and to also try a better solution, especially now, when the economy is taking a dive, you need to go the cheaper way, take care of yourself, read the labels. take only the amount it tells you to, while also avoiding products, which include acetaminophen, in its ingredients.
I don't know how much it costs for your doctor's visit, but where I live, it cost $100 a visit, and don't even get me started about the cost of prescription drugs, not counting generics, although some of those are quite pricey.
Here are a few videos, which may, or may not cause you to think twice on this important health information, and as always, Be Smarter In The New Age.

No comments:

Post a Comment